News & Events
Spring Tour of Homes: April 26th & 27th
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS ONLINE Remember, early bird buyers (one week advance purchase) receive $5 off and members with Coupon Code get an additional $5 discount!
Each spring residents of the Riverside Avondale Historic District open their homes to guests in an effort to raise money for the city’s premier grassroots historic preservation organization, Riverside Avondale Preservation. This April 26th and 27th, doors will open once again for a two-day, self-guided tour. Ticket price is good for both Saturday and Sunday.
The Riverside Avondale Historic District is one of the largest in the Southeast and has some of the most diverse architectural styles of any neighborhood in the country. Situated along the St. Johns River, this scenic, vibrant and artistic area was named one of America’s Top 10 Great Neighborhoods by the APA and has been featured on HGTV as a walkable, sustainable neighborhood. If you’re interested in history, architecture, or design, or just want to pick up some great ideas on home improvement, make sure you make plans to attend this popular event.
Ten beautifully restored buildings will be featured on this year’s tour, which promises to be a very special one. Features of the 2014 tour include the DESIGNER SHOWCASE HOUSE , the ART HOUSE curated by the Jacksonville Artist Guild and the CRAFTSMAN SHOWCASE HOUSE where you will find complimentary Bold Bean coffee and treats courtesy of Edgewood Bakery and Sweet Theory. Participants will have a rare opportunity to step inside several of the district’s most significant homes.
All tour sites will be open on Saturday, April 26th, from 10 am until 5 pm, and on Sunday, April 27th, from 12 pm until 5 pm. Tickets are good for Saturday and Sunday.
Home Tour Hours
Saturday, April 26, from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday, April 27, from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
(Tickets are valid for both days of the tour)
DECORATOR SHOWHOUSE PREVIEW PARTY
Add on a ticket for the Decorator Showhouse Preview Party on Thursday, April 24th, 2014. This special preview party the historic Witchen House, 1822 Edgewood Avenue, will feature participating Interior Designers on hand to share their inspirations with guests. Beer, wine and small bites will be served on the exterior patio around the beautiful backyard pool and summer kitchen. Come enjoy a first peek at one of Riverside Avondale’s most prominent architectural structures decorated by Jacksonville’s finest design experts. LIMITED TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR THIS EVENT!
HOME TOUR LOCATIONS (confirmed to date):
2165 Park Street, CRAFTSMAN SHOWCASE
2821 Riverside Avenue
2967 Riverside Avenue
1345 Avondale Avenue
1835 Seminole Avenue
1850 Seminole Avenue
1822 Edgewood Avenue, DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE
1880 Edgewood Avenue, ART HOUSE
3741-3749 Riverside Avenue (2 Homes)
Stay tuned for additional locations
Buy your tickets early this year and receive $5 off the purchase price (one week in advance! The early bird special is only $20. Tickets can always be purchased the day of the tour for $25 at any of the houses on the tour. RAP members with a valid membership card or Coupon Code (online) receive a discount of $5 off their ticket price. Children 12 and under are free, please no strollers.
If you want to pick up your tickets in person, they will be available starting in late March at the following sales locations:
• Cowford Traders (3563 St. Johns Avenue)
• Design Additions (3569 St. Johns Avenue)
• Phillips Garden Store (4234 Herschel Street)
• Watson Realty Office (4194 San Juan Avenue)
• Fans and Stoves Antique Mall (1059 Park Street)
• Riverside Arts Market Information Booth, at Market entrance (715 Riverside Avenue), on Saturdays in April
Park & King:
• Southern Crossing Antique Mall (2718 Park Street)
• Home Tour headquarters (2623 Herschel Street), Monday – Friday April 14-25, Saturday and Sunday April 26-27.
• Bold Bean Coffee Roasters (869 Stockton Street)
Highlights of the Home Tour
New this year, the 2014 Tour of Homes will feature a Designer Showhouse at the Historic Witchen home on Pine and Edgewood, 1822 Edgewood Avenue. The Designer Showhouse will inspire and ignite creativity. Charles M. Gardner and Kyle M. Williams of C&K Designs are serving as Design Chairs for this wonderful showcase home, which will feature furniture, accessories and décor from Ethan Allen. Designers featured in the RAP DESIGNER DREAM HOME 2014 include:
• C&K Designs — Charles M. Gardner & Kyle M. Williams
• Red Bench Designs — Scott Hill & Lee Kessel
• Interiors Complete Design — Brenda Luten
• Designs by Elaine — Elaine Jenkins & Karen Rawls
**Don’t Forget to add on a ticket for the Preview Party on Thursday April 24th!”
Stop by this house to have a cup of joe courtesy of local coffee roasters Bold Bean Coffee and a delicious sweet treat thanks to the generosity of Sweet Theory in Park & King and Edgewood Bakery in Murray Hill. While 2165 Park Street is now home to the Junior League of Jacksonville, it was constructed as the first Mormon Church in the State of Florida. The basement which now serves as a reception area for newlyweds will host a craftsman showcase featuring some of Riverside Avondale’s most valued builders and restoration experts. So come grab a snack and visit with these folks and maybe you’ll get some design ideas for your own home.
Featured Craftsmen for 2013:
• Contractor, Building – W.S. Builders
• Contractor, General – River City Restoration
• Painter – L & A Painting
• Plumber – Harry Hayes Plumbing Contractors
• Window Specialist — Angel Corrales
The Art House is always a favorite on the Home Tour as visitors get an opportunity to enjoy not only the restoration work of dedicated homeowners but also the talent and tenacity of Jacksonville’s most creative people. A beautiful gem located at 1880 Edgewood Avenue (the Bootlegger House) will serve as the 2014 Art House. This home has been meticulously restored and art will be displayed throughout the space. The Jacksonville Artists Guild will feature fine art from local and regional professional and emerging artists living in our area. The mission of the Jacksonville Artists Guild is dedicated to elevating artistic awareness and participation by artists through dynamic programs and exhibitions that enhance, encourage and promote the arts.
• 5 Points Featured Restaurant: Black Sheep (1534 Oak Street) is an independent restaurant focusing on fresh, local ingredients, hand-crafted food, and gracious service. They offer a full bar, signature cocktails, craft beers and an excellent wine list. Fast casual lunch Monday through Friday, dinner Monday through Saturday, and brunch Saturday and Sunday.
• Park & King Featured Restaurant: European Street Cafe (2753 Park Street) takes you away from the ordinary into a comfortable international atmosphere where you can indulge in the pleasures of foreign countries. Their menu includes over 150 original and traditional sandwiches that are hearty enough to fill your belly full. Visit the place voted “Where the Locals Eat” Monday through Sunday 10am-10pm.
• Avondale Featured Restaurant: Biscottis (3556 St. Johns Avenue) offers casual comfort and innovative cuisine, including small plates, bountiful salads with house made dressings, gourmet pizzas, bistro sandwiches and daily specials featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients. Lunch and dinner served Monday through Sunday with an award-winning brunch menu on the weekends.
• Outstanding River Friendly Yard – 2922 Forbes Street. Stop by and learn about how to implement a green roof and river friendly yard at the home of Genora Crane Orth and Jimmy Orth, winners of the 2014 RAP Outstanding River Friendly Yard Award.
• Native Park – The Ixia Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society will provide tours of Native Park, located at 3312 Park Street. Tour Native Park to see and learn how you can make a difference in your yard by using native plants.
• Community Garden Design Contest – The Emerging Design Professionals, a subsidiary of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), will be holding a design contest for the new Riverside Avondale Community Garden. The designs will be revealed during Home Tour Weekend on April 26th – 27th. You can stop by the old Rose Garden across from Willowbranch Park to see the design entries and vote for your favorite. To enter yourself, visit www.aiajacksonville.org.calendar
Each year we hold a Bike Tour in conjunction with the Riverside Avondale Tour of Homes because the best way to really experience the beauty of our neighborhood is by foot or by bike. The 2014 Bicycle Tour will be expertly narrated and led by local historian Jean Grimsley of Riverside Avondale Preservation. Grimsley, writer and narrator of the video “History of Riverside Avondale and RAP,” will be sharing her extensive knowledge of the neighborhood during the ride. The ride will be stopping at many of the Home Tour’s featured residences and will highlight historically important landmarks along the way.
There is no charge to participate in the ride but you will need to purchase a Home Tour ticket to enter the residences. The tour departs from City Cycle (2740 Park Street) on SATURDAY APRIL 26th at 10:00am. It takes approximately 3 hours to visit all of the homes on the tour by bike.
People ask us every year about the beautiful arrangements placed in each home on the tour. Well, we have some wonderful florists who donate those arrangements each and every year. They meet with the homeowners, choose a room and design, and create a fabulous piece of floral art to accompany the architecture and design of the home in which they are working.
Featured Florists for 2013:
• Anita’s Garden Shop
• St. Johns Flower Market
• Whole Food’s Florist
• Fresh Market
Present your ticket from this year’s Home Tour at The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens to enjoy one free admission when a regular admission is purchased at full price. This offer is valid the entire week of the Tour (April 26th through May 4th). While you’re there, explore A Commemoration of the Civil Rights Movement: Photography from the High Museum of Art, a traveling exhibit from the High Museum of Art and find inspiration in the Cummer’s pristine gardens.
The Antique Automobile Club of America will be bringing dozens of cars to the Home Tour for the fourth year in a row! These pristine collectible cars are a fan favorite and will be parked outside of the historic homes and touring around the neighborhood – they might even give you a ride if you ask nicely! One car will be carrying around a flapper girl from the 1920s to bring you back to the heyday of Riverside Avondale.